Sunday, June 7, 2009

I got in and saw Dr. Christopher on on June 1st. Initially, things were a tad complicated, as the hospital had sent the results from a female pelvis. Leisa left me with Dr. Christopher while she went over to Lakeway and obtained the proper xrays - he also conducted his own xrays, and compared the old versus the new when Leisa arrived with them. He said that had he been the initial treating physician, that he would have operated straightaway, but with the injuries now 3+ weeks old, that the body had begun regenerating itself, so surgery at this point would be fruitless. He gave me a 4-6 month window for when I should expect the bones to be healed and for me to be able to resume some semblance of a normal life. It is still questionable as to whether or not I'll be able to walk with a prosthesis within the next 12 months.

He also removed the cast that was on my left arm, and r-xrayed the broken bone. Upon seeing the new xrays, he promptly put a new cast on, saying that it was still obviously fractured. I return on the 24th for another visit/evaluation. I like Dr. Christopher because he's so down-to-earth, and doesn't place himself above the patient as far as "I'm better than you are" type of mentality. He likes to joke with me by saying "With you around, I'll always know that my practice will remain stable due to the fact that you like to push the envelope and go further than most." I really wish that he'd been my treating physician since day 1, as I feel that my time spent at U.T. Hospital did me more harm than good. Dr. C did give me the more realistic timeframe of 4-6 months healing time, rather than the 3 months offered by U.T. He's very thorough, has great compassion, and has a wonderful bedside manner. I don't think I could have chosen a better physician to treat these very difficult wounds.

I am no longer required to spend 24/7 in the bed, which has been a tremendous relief. And, while he did offer me the chance to get out of bed, he did caution me to not take that as a 'get out of jail free card', but to slowly do things as I feel capable. I am now able to get out of the bed by myself; transfer to the wheelchair alone; and propel myself around the house. I still need assistance getting into and out of the bath tub. I can still feel the bones painfully shifting in my pelvis as I move a certain way, so I have to be really careful with my movements.

In family news, keep Tyler at the forefront of your prayers. He has such a short period of time remaining before he can return home. Yet, for some reason, this is also the most mentally difficult for him, and he expresses very loudly how he can't return home quick enough to suit his needs. A few of his fellow soldiers have singled him out and pick on him especially hard - calling his family all sorts of things. I've told him to not concern himself with what they have to say about us, because they've never met us, so they don't know what kind of people we are. I'm worried about him, and strongly hope that you'll join me in praying that God helps him get through the next 10 days.

That's it from here.